Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Rasam- type 1
Toor dal: 1 handful
Ginger: 1'' piece
Garlic: 3-4 cloves
Cumin(Jeera): 1 tbspn
Black Pepper: 15
Red chilli: 2-3
Tamarind extract: 1 tbspn
Oil: 2 tbspn
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tspn
Curry leaves: 4-5
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
1. Pressure cook toor dal, turmeric, ginger and tomato adding enough water. ( dal should be cooked very well)
2. Take out the tomato in a bowl and mash it very well.
3. Dry roast cumin and black pepper and powder it.
4. Add mashed tomato, cumin and pepper powder, tamarind extract and salt to dal mixture and bring it to boil.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When mustard starts to splutter, add curry leaves, redchilli, garlic and Asafoetida.
6. Add this tadka to dal mixture.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
8. Serve with rice or drink it hot.