Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Sabsige Soppu Saaru/ Dill dal
Toor dal: 1 cup
Sabsige Soppu/ Dill Leaves: 1 cup chopped
Turmeric Powder: Pinch
Cumin seeds: 1 tspn
Coriander seeds/ Dhania: 1 tspn
Garlic cloves: 3 for grinding + 1 chopped for seasoning
Coconut Powder: 1 tbspn
Green chilli: 1-2
Lemon Juice: 1/2 tspn
Oil: 1 tspn
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tspn
Curry Leaves: 4-5
Salt to taste
1. Pressure cook toor dal using enough water.
2. Grind together coconut, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic, turmeric, coriander leaves and green chilli to a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan and, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Add 1 chopped garlic clove and chopped sabsige soppu. Fry for 2 mins.
4. Now add grinded paste and cook until raw smell disappears.
5. Add this paste to pressure cooked toor dal and boil for 3-4 mins.
6. Add lemon juice and mix well.
7. Serve with rice or chapathi.
Note: You can skip the grinding process and just add sambar powder and tamarind juice. Tastes good either way.