Friday, July 29, 2011
Channa Dal: 1 cup
Onion(small): 1/2 (finely chopped)
Ginger: 1'' piece
Garlic: 4-5 cloves
Dill Leaves(Sabsige Soppu): 1/2 cup (chopped)
Cinnamon: 2'' piece
Green chilli: 2-3
Red chilli Powder: 1/2 tspn
Curry Leaves: 5-6 (chopped)
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tspn
Coriander Leaves: 5-6 strands(chopped)
Oil for deep frying
Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak channa dal for about 4-5 hrs.
2. Grind together green chilli, cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds, ginger and garlic. keep it aside.
3. Drain out the water from the channa dal.
4. Divide into 2 batches. Grind 1 batch to a smooth paste ( This helps in binding) and another to a course. Do not add any water.
5. Mix grinded channa dal, dill leaves, curry leaves, onion, coriander leaves, chilli powder, salt and the paste.
6. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Check if oil is ready by adding small bit of vada mix. If it rises immediately to the top, then oil is ready for frying.
7. Take a small ball out of the vada mix and gently press to a round shape and slowly put it in the oil. You can add 3-4 at a time.
8. Fry on both the sides until light brown in color.
9. Remove from the oil and put it on the paper bowl.
10. Serve hot.
Note: This recipe makes about 15-18 vada.