Rice: 1 cup
Moong dal: 3/4 cup
Water: 3.5 cups
For Khara Pongal:
Black Pepper: 15-20
Cumin(jeera): 1 tbspn
Green chilli: 2 ( cut it lengthwise)
Turmeric: 1/4 tspn
Oil: 3-4 tbspn
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tspn
Curry Leaves: 5-6
Dry Coconut powder: 1 tbspn
Coriander leaves to garnish
Salt to taste
1. Dry Roast the Moong dal for a min.
2. Pressure cook moong dal and rice by adding 4 cups of water. Do not add salt to this.
3. Divide the cooked rice and dal mixture for khara and sweet pongal. Set aside.
4. Coarsely crush black pepper and Cumin(jeera). keep it aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When mustard starts to splutter, add curry leaves, broken cashews, crushed black pepper n cumin, asafoetida(hing), green chilli and turmeric. switch off the flame.
6 . Add cooked rice n dal mixture enough for khara pongal. Mix well.
7. Add salt, coconut powder and mix well.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Khara Pongal can be served with raitha.
NOTE: If the khara pongal is too dry,add 1 cup of water and cook for 2mins.
The consistency for the pongal should be mushy and liquidy.
For Sweet Pongal:
Jaggery: acoording to your taste
Ghee: 4-5 tbspn
Cardomom powder: 1/4 tspn
Cashews: 1 tbspn
Raisins: 1 tbspn
Coconut powder: 1 tbspn
1. Add 1/4 cup of water and melt the jaggery in a pan . Once jaggery melts, add cooked rice n dal mixture set aside for sweet pongal. Mix well.
2. Heat ghee in a seperate pan, add cashews and raisins. fry for a min.
3. Pour this ghee mixture to rice- dal mixture.
4. Add coconut powder, cardamom powder and mix well.