Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Dosa and Aloo Palya
Ingredients for Dosa:
Rice: 2 cups
Urad dal: 1/2 cup
Channa dal: 1 tbspn
Menthya: 1/2 tspn
Toor dal: 1 tbspn
Avalakki(thick Poha): 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
1. Soak rice, urad dal, channa dal, menthya, toor dal for 4-5 hrs.
2. When ready to grind soak avalakki for a min. Grind together using little water to a dosa batter consistency.
3.Transfer the batter to a container and allow it to rest for 8-9 hrs for fermentation.
4. When ready to make dosas, add salt and mix.
5. Heat the tava on medium heat. Add a tspn of oil and spread using a paper towel.
6. Pour a scoop of batter on the center of the tava and spread it in circular motion.
9. Serve with Aloo palya or Chutney.
Ingredients for Aloo Palya:
Onion(medium): 1/2 (chopped)
Channa dal: 1/2 tspn
Ginger-Garlic paste: 1tspn
Green chilli: 2 (cut it lengthwise)
Mint leaves: 4-5 strands( finely chopped)
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tspn
cumin(jeera): 1/4 tspn
curry leaves: 4-5
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves(finely chopped) to garnish
1. Pressure cook potato for 2 whistles or until soft.
2. Peel off the potato skin and mash it well. Keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and jeera. When mustard starts to splutter, add curry leaves and channa dal. Fry till light brown in color.
4. Add onion, green chilli, salt and turmeric powder. saute for 2 mins.
5. Add mint leaves and fry for a min.
6. Add mashed potato and mix thoroughly. switch off the flame.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.