Chickpeas/ Garbanzo Beans: 2 cups
Onion: 1 (medium)
Coriander Powder: 1 tbspn
Cumin(Jeera) Powder: 1 tspn
Amchoor Powder: 1 tspn
Turmeric Powder: Pinch
Ginger: 1'' piece + extra for seasoning
Garlic: 4-5 cloves
Green chilli: 1 chopped
Bay Leaf: 1
Cinnamon: 1'' piece
Tea Bags: 2
Oil: 2 tbspn
Butter or Ghee: 2 tbspn
Salt to taste
1. Soak chickpeas for 4-5 hrs or overnight. Pressure cook chickpeas using enough water for 2-3 whistles or until soft. Do not discard the water. Dip 2 tea bags in the cooked chickpeas for 3 mins and then discard the tea bags.
2. Grind onion, garlic and 1'' inch piece ginger to a smooth paste and grind tomatoes seperately.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf, cinnamon n cloves.
4. Add Onion paste and fry until raw smell disappears. Now add tomato puree and fry till oil starts leaving.
5. Add green chilli, coriander powder, cumin powder and amchoor powder. Fry for 2 mins.
6. Now add cooked chickpeas along with the water. cook on low flame. Gently press few chickpeas and mix well.
7. Heat butter in a separate pan and add thinly sliced ginger pieces and fry for 30 sec and pour this mixture over chickpeas curry. Mix well.
8. Serve with Roti, Naan, Chapathi or Rice.