Thursday, August 25, 2011
Fish: 6-7 pieces( I used Tilapia)
Coriander seeds: 2tbspn
Cumin seeds: 1 tbspn
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tspn
Menthya(Methi seeds): 1/4 tspn
Black Peppercorns: 15
Byadagi: 2 ( Optional)
Chilli Powder: 1 tspn or according to taste
Tamarind: lemon size ball (Extract liquid) + extra for grinding
Turmeric: 1/2 tspn
Coconut Powder: 1/4 cup
Garlic: 4-5 cloves
Ginger: 1'' piece
Oil: 2 tbspn
Coriander Leaves: 5-6 strands
Salt to taste
1. Take a bowl and add tamarind extract, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Mix well. Apply this to Fish fillets and marinate for an hour.
2. Dry Roast Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, black pepper, byadagi, Menthya and Mustard seeds seperately.
3. Grind together coconut, garlic, ginger, 1/2 onion, coriander leaves along with dry roasted ingredients. keep it aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add remaining chopped onion, salt, curry leaves and fry until onion turns golden brown.
5. Add grinded masala and fry for a while. Add 1 cup water for a thick gravy. Boil for 5 mins.
6. Add marinated fish fillets.Reduce the flame. Simmer for 10 -15 mins. Do not stir in between as it will break into pieces.
7. Serve with Rice or Akki Roti or Chapathi.
NOTE: This curry tastes better when served after couple of hrs of cooking.