Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Rava/Semolina (Coarse): 2 cups
Yoghurt/Curd: 1.5 cups
Water: 1 cup
Ginger(grated): 1 tspn
Green chilli: 2 ( finely chopped)
Ghee or Oil: 2-3 tbspn
Mustard seeds: 1 tspn
Curry leaves: 4-5
Urad dal: 1 tspn
Coriander leaves: 6-7 sprigs (chopped)
Baking soda: pinch
Salt to taste
Cashew: 4-5 ( optional)
Carrot: 1 (garnishing)
1. Heat ghee or oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
2. Add asafoetida, urad dal, curry leaves, green chilli, cashew pieces. Roast until urad dal and cashew turns light brown in color.
3. Add rava and mix well. Roast rava until light brown in color. Allow it to cool and keep it aside
4. Take a bowl, add yoghurt, ginger paste, salt, coriander leaves and mix well.
5. Add this to cooled rava mixture. Add water little at a time and mix well.
6. Allow it to rest for atleast 30 mins. Now add baking soda and mix well.
7. Grease the idli plates. Add grated carrot at the bottom of each idli indention before pouring in the batter.
8. Add a spoonful of batter to each of the idli plates.
9. Heat water in a pressure cooker and place the idli stand in a pressure cooker. Cover and cook for about 15 mins without the whistle.
10. Serve with Saagu or Chutney.